Do you have a bucket list? If not, it is never too late to start making a list of all the places you wish to visit along with the things you fancy to accomplish during your lifetime. I have listed some awesome bucket list ideas to help you make your list.
Don’t worry, I have something for everyone! You will find that some of the suggestions are specifically for the nature lovers, whereas others will appeal to the adrenaline junkie out there! On the other hand, if your interest lies in learning more about the diverse African cultures, I have some fabulous recommendations for you. Finally, I added a few ideas that might seem a bit strange at first but worthy of your bucket list if you are willing to go off the beaten path!
So without any further ado, here we go!
Discover the Landscapes and the Wildlife
Africa offers many breathtaking views along with an impressive biodiversity of wildlife.
Several worthwhile destinations to consider for wildlife sightings:
- The annual wildebeest migration between the Serengeti National Park (Tanzania) and the Maasai Mara Reserve (Kenya) is quite a marvel. Now imagine seeing it from a bird’s eye perspective by going on a Balloon Safari over the Maasai Mara Reserve!
- The Ngorongoro Crater, in Northern Tanzania, is the largest caldera in the world. The crater contains a vast array of wildlife and is an excellent choice for going on game viewing drives to see the big five as well as many other species of wildlife.
- The Kruger National Park in South Africa is the most visited park on the African continent. The main attraction is wildlife sightings and especially the big five (lions, leopards, elephants, buffalos, rhinoceros). Furthermore, the Sabi Sands within the Kruger Park deserve a spot on your bucket list since it offers night drives and, thus, the possibility to see the big five from another perspective!
- The Hwange National Park is the largest game reserve in Zimbabwe and the former home of Cecil, the lion. The Park is another fabulous destination for game viewing drives, primarily for the elephants and the African wild dogs!
- If you are interested in meeting one of our closest relatives, you can opt for trekking the gorillas in the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda.
- The Okavango Delta in Botswana offers a wide variety of magnificent landscapes and is one of the seven natural wonders of Africa, do I need to say more!
- The Namib Desert in Namibia comprises a well-known attraction, red sand dunes known as the Sossusvlei Dunes. Now, picture yourself being on the dunes when the sun rises, absolutely priceless!
Adventure Travel & Adrenaline Rushes!
Some of the activities listed below may already be on your list since they are very popular.
Adventures for your bucket list to get your heart pumping:
- Observe the beautiful landscapes from a different perspective, sign up for a zip line ride over the spectacular Table Mountain.
- Surf the waves of the Jeffrey’s Bay in South Africa, and catch a glimpse of the dolphins!
- Climb the Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest mountain on the African continent and a challenge best suited for the fittest.
- Victoria Falls is sitting at the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe and offers a few thrills such as bungee jumping off the Victoria Bridge, or if you prefer a more refreshing activity, why not go for a swim in the Devil’s Pool on the edge of Victoria Falls!
- Go on a rafting excursion or riverboarding on the Zambezi River below the Victoria Falls.
- The sand dunes outside the city of Swakopmund in the Namib desert, is the perfect place to test your sandboarding skills or find out if you have any? Otherwise, you can venture over to the sand dunes with a quad! Now who said that the desert is just a dull sandy landscape!
- Test your limits and go on a trek of the Fish River Canyon, the second largest canyon in the world after the Grand Canyon. You need to be fit because it is a challenging walk, thus, worthy of making your bucket list!
- Lake Malawi with its clear waters is the destination of choice for scuba diving and snorkeling. If you would rather stay above the waters and explore the lake surroundings, then opt for a kayak ride.
Africa is more than safaris and picturesque landscapes. The wealth of Africa comes from its vibrant cultural diversity!
Here are a few cultural activities for your bucket list:
- Besides the breathtaking landscapes such as the Table Mountain, Cape Town offers a unique cultural experience with its museums, art galleries and historical landmarks that encompass the famous Castle of Good Hope, the oldest building in South Africa.
- If you are not claustrophobic, you can visit the Cango caves made of limestone rocks and encompassing a series of chambers and tunnels. The caves are located in the Western Cape province of South Africa. This is the oldest tourist attraction in Africa, and viewed by many, as one of Africa’s Natural wonders.
- Visit the Lower Omo Valley in Southern Ethiopia and meet more than 50 different tribes. Most of them are still faithful to the traditional way of life. Truly an unforgettable cultural experience!
Be Resourceful and Think Outside the Box!
While making your travel bucket list, you should not only include places and activities that are famous and therefore very crowded with tourists but also be creative and go off the beaten path!
- The Makgadikgadi Pans are to the southeast of the Okavango Delta region and consists of many salt pans. During the rainy season, the area becomes the breeding grounds of the Flamingos! Explore the Makgadikgadi Pans through a quad ride.
- Trek the Simien Mountains located in the northern region of Ethiopia and gaze at the panoramic views and meet along the way the Walia Ibex (a wild goat) and the Gelada baboon!
- Explore the coral reefs off the Kenyan coast near Lamu Island. Go on a snorkelling excursion and swim along with the sea turtles as well as with the Dolphins. This is a snorkeler’s paradise.
- The next bucket list item is a bit odd, to say the least, but why not! Visit an Ostrich Farm located just outside the town of Oudtshoorn, where you can ride an Ostrich! Well, just don’t take my words for it, watch the video below!
This falls into the category of thinking outside the box and perfect for your bucket list! A once in a lifetime experience for sure!
As you can see, this is only the tip of the iceberg, the possibilities are endless. These suggestions are just a starting point for your African bucket list!
Diversify your travel bucket list and add activities and places that will enable you to learn more about the many facets of the African continent. Don’t forget to include thrilling activities to get your heart pumping! Finally, don’t be afraid to think outside the box and include ideas that fall outside your comfort zone! Be imaginative!
If you have any questions or would like to share others awesome bucket list ideas, leave a comment below.